Recipe by mollypaul
A beautiful German cake posted in response to a recipe request. Originally posted to CDKitchen by Anita Gamache.
Top Review by Eunjung
i was not going to rate this recipe at first - i was disappointed with it. i must not have given the cherries and pudding enough time to set, and everything was all sloppy and floppy when i served it (I have never had this cake before so did not know what it should look like). after a lukewarm response from my family, i put it into the fridge thinking if someone has hungry enough, they would try it again. the next day, the cake looked and tasted great! i also love that i can/should make this cake ahead of time - that i do not have to make it just prior to serving. beautiful recipe. and thanks for introducing me to a piece of german food culture!
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 (36 ounce) can tart cherries, pitted
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 (4 ounce) packagecook and serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Cake: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a 12 x 8 pan.
- Beat the butter, eggs and sugar together until sugar is dissolved.Add the flour.
- Spread half of the batter into the pan.
- Add cocoa and milk to remaining batter, mix well and spread over the top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until done.
- Let cool for approximately one hour.
- For Filling: Drain the cherries, saving 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the juice.
- Heat the juice, sugar and cornstarch slowly, stirring constantly.
- Add the cherries.
- When the mix has thickened, set aside to cool.
- For Cream: Cook the pudding according to the package directions with the milk and sugar Let cool to room temperature.
- Beat the butter until creamy and add the pudding spoon by spoon while beating Let rest a few minutes.
- Assembly: Spread the cherry mix on top of the cake and cover with the cream.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the top.