Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is the recipe that won the chili cook off for Dan in 2010. Our family likes it so much that we fix a pot about once a month year round. It's just one of those foods that we get a real strong hankering for ... from the kitchen of Dan Court, Bridgeton MO.
- 4 lbs hamburger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 5 (15 ounce) cansdrained kidney beans (red or light red)
- 1⁄4 cup onion flakes
- 3 -4 ounces durkee chili powder (to taste)
- In a skillet, brown hamburger; stir while cooking to break up into small loose pieces. Add salt. Drain grease off and set meat aside.
- Using an 8 quart stock pot, combine tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney beans and onion flakes.
- Add half the chili powder and stir well; simmer for about 15 minutes; add drained hamburger; taste to determine if you want more chili powder. Continue to add chili powder, simmer and taste until you have obtained the desired level of spiciness.
- This chili will have a thick consistency.
- Continue to cook on a slow simmer for about 4 hours.
- You can use a 6 quart Crock Pot, but it will be full to the brim!
- Serve with oyster crackers, chopped onion, grated cheddar cheese and sour cream.