Recipe by mumofallseas
This lasagne is homemade, and I find that it's very versatile, especially if you like to experiment. My only problem with this recipe is that I can't stop eating it whilst it is cooking! The amount of ingredients doesn't have to be exact; add more or less to make it your own! I got this from a grandma's recipe card, but changed a lot of it.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 500 g beef mince
- 1 large onion
- 1 garlic clove (1 tsp garlic salt or paste)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 250 g mushrooms
- red pepper
- orange bell pepper
- green pepper (I buy these mixed in frozen packs in frozen packs)
- 350 -700 ml passata (sieved toms-amount depends on how many people and if you like the lasagne to be juicy)
- 340 g canned tomatoes with basil (or fresh tomatoes without skin)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- thyme (dried mixed herbs are also fine)
- 1 -2 beef bouillon cube (or 2 tsp beef granules)
- 100 g cheddar cheese, to sprinkle over the top 300g lasagna sheet
for the white sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 25 g plain flour
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 25 g cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Firstly add the oil to a deep frying pan and heat up.
- Add the garlic and onions and cook until soft. You can add some water if you find that the oil dries out too much.
- Add carrots; mince and cook whilst browning. Add rosemary and one beef cube; cook until brown.
- At this point I drain the mince to get rid of some of the oil.
- Add the peppers, mushrooms and herbs then the passata and tinned tomatoes; cook for 15 minutes.
- In a separate pot add the butter to melt, then stir in the flour add the milk; whisk if it becomes lumpy then take it off the heat. Stir until thickened.
- You must take pan off heat, add in the cheese and stir.
- Preheat oven to 180°.
- Grease your dish and add a layer of the red sauce. Add lasagne sheets to cover, then a layer of white sauce.
- On top of this add a layer of red(it doesn't matter if it mixes) cover the top with lasagne sheet, add another layer of white and sprinkle with cheese.
- Put in oven for about 30 minutes.
- If you like this spicy then add some jalapenos to the red sauce once cooked.