Recipe by Bev
My husband, Dan loves Tex Mex and this is one of his favorite dinners. Very simple to make. Enjoy!
Top Review by Sharlene~W
As this was cooking, I was concerned that there might be too much rice, but the end product was delicious. I ended up adding a bit more chili powder 'cause that suited our taste. Served it up in tostada shells and topped it with the cheese. Then I placed the lettuce, olives, tomatoes, avocado, sour cream and salsa and more tortilla chips on the side so my family could dress their own as desired. Flavor was reminiscent of a good super burrito. We all ate more than we should have--you can call me "Gordo" now!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) canmild diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 (1 ounce) envelopemild taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced black olives
- 1 (4 ounce) package Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook first 3 ingredients in a large skillet over medium high heat, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in tomato and green chilies, water, rice, seasoning mix and salt.
- Cook covered, over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook 15 more minutes, then remove from heat.
- Sprinkle lettuce, onions, tomato, avocado, olives and cheese over hamburger mixture.
- Stand tortilla chips around edge of skillet; serve with chips and salsa.