Recipe by NannyMarvel
This is another recipe from Ruth Reichl's book "Comfort Me With Apples". When Ruth Reichl was a food critic, she often ate at Danny Kaye's house. She said he was an exceptional cook. She never asked him for any of his recipes but she loved this pasta so much, she tried to make it herself. She said it took her a long time to perfect the recipe. She also said that it isn't as good as Danny Kaye's - nothing could be - but it's the closest she's been able to come.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 lb fresh egg fettuccine
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon zest
- fresh ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a deep, heavy 12-inch skillet and stir in the cream and lemon juice. Remove the skillet from the heat and keep it warm and covered.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente, 2 to 3 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking liquid and drain the pasta in a colander. Add the pasta to the skillet with the lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of the pasta cooking liquid and toss well. (Add more pasta cooking liquid 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary, to thin the sauce).
- Season the pasta with salt and pepper and serve with Parmesan cheese.