Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Consumer Report's offered a barbecue sauce recipe in their magazine many years ago. This is it with minor modification. My son loves it.
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 12 ounces molasses
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup orange juice (or 3 TBS lemon juice)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- combine all ingredients except liquid smoke.
- bring to a boil.
- reduce heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- remove from heat.
- add liquid smoke and refrigerate.
- makes about 2 liters.
We thought this very good! It has a spicy flavor with sweet undertones. I followed the recipe exactly and used the orange juice option. DPN, thanks for the post!
Had this tonight for BBQ chicken. It was great, I think it would be very nice on ribs too. The orange juice gives it a little something extra. I didn't have any liquid smoke, so I had to leave that out, but still it was very good. I also quartered the recipe and it was more than enough for two large chicken breasts.