Prep 50 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is a hearty healthy alternative. A real comfort food perfect for a large group or just eating alone. Serve with a nice sourdough french bread or garlic bread. This dish pairs well with your favorite Merlot. This can be made in large volumes and frozen in single serving bags for a quick fix meal.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 16 ounces tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen peas and carrots, blend (use only 8 oz in recipe)
- 1 (6 fluid ounce) jar artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese, loaf
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup roasted yellow bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup portabella mushroom, chopped
- 2 cloves diced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon ground savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon Greek oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- In a large pot bring 6 cups of water to a boil with a 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Add pasta and cook until al dente then rinse under cold water, once drained drizzle with olive oil and stir to avoid it sticking together.
- While the pasta cooks brown the chicken in a large pan with 2 Tbsp of olive oil. When it is done drain any fat off and set aside to cool.
- Chop the onion and sauté in 1 Tbsp olive oil. When the onion starts to become opaque add the bell peppers and mushrooms and cook an additional 2 minutes. Then set aside to cool.
- When cool, in a large mixing bowl combine the pasta, diced tomato’s, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Gently mix in being sure not to squash the macaroni. Next add low fat ricotta cheese and fold into mixture. Then mix in frozen peas & carrots (8 oz) and chopped artichoke hearts. Next add the bell pepper, onion and mushroom, chicken, garlic, basil and all dry herbs. Gently mix until well blended.
- Move the mix to a 13 x 9 baking dish and cover with aluminum foil being sure to make a “dome top” so the foil does not touch the pasta.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F, once the oven is ready place the pasta in the oven and cook for 40 minutes then remove the foil and cook for another 20 minutes. Then sprinkle the cheese on top and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for about 15 minutes. Cut into 6 servings and serve. Garnish with a sprinkle of Parmesan, a basil leaf and garlic bread.