1 hr 10 mins
This is a hearty healthy alternative. A real comfort food perfect for a large group or just eating alone. Serve with a nice sourdough french bread or garlic bread. This dish pairs well with your favorite Merlot. This can be made in large volumes and frozen in single serving bags for a quick fix meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 16 ounces tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen peas and carrots, blend (use only 8 oz in recipe)
- 1 (6 fluid ounce) jar artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese, loaf
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper
- 1/2 cup roasted yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup portabella mushroom, chopped
- 2 cloves diced garlic
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon ground savory
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon Greek oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1In a large pot bring 6 cups of water to a boil with a 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- 2Add pasta and cook until al dente then rinse under cold water, once drained drizzle with olive oil and stir to avoid it sticking together.
- 3While the pasta cooks brown the chicken in a large pan with 2 Tbsp of olive oil. When it is done drain any fat off and set aside to cool.
- 4Chop the onion and sauté in 1 Tbsp olive oil. When the onion starts to become opaque add the bell peppers and mushrooms and cook an additional 2 minutes. Then set aside to cool.
- 5When cool, in a large mixing bowl combine the pasta, diced tomato’s, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Gently mix in being sure not to squash the macaroni. Next add low fat ricotta cheese and fold into mixture. Then mix in frozen peas & carrots (8 oz) and chopped artichoke hearts. Next add the bell pepper, onion and mushroom, chicken, garlic, basil and all dry herbs. Gently mix until well blended.
- 6Move the mix to a 13 x 9 baking dish and cover with aluminum foil being sure to make a “dome top” so the foil does not touch the pasta.
- 7Preheat the oven to 400°F, once the oven is ready place the pasta in the oven and cook for 40 minutes then remove the foil and cook for another 20 minutes. Then sprinkle the cheese on top and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- 8Remove from oven and let it cool for about 15 minutes. Cut into 6 servings and serve. Garnish with a sprinkle of Parmesan, a basil leaf and garlic bread.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Danny Zs Baked Macaroni With Chicken & Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (595 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 657.9
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 73.0 mg
- Sodium 1458.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.3 g
- Sugars 18.1 g
- Protein 44.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: