Recipe by AB_Fan
From Aebleskiver and More - A Sampling of Danish Recipes by Lisa Steen Riggs. Cook time is a guesstimate.
- 1 large beef bone (such as a knuckle)
- water, to cover
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 4 large carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 6 -8 potatoes, whole and peeled
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beef bone in a soup kettle; cover with water and add 2 teaspoons salt.
- Bring to a boil and cook until meat falls off the bone.
- Remove the bone from the broth; remove meat from bone, chop, and return to broth.
- Add pepper, onions, carrots and whole potatoes.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Remove potatoes; mash and add 1 teaspoon salt, the egg, baking powder, and enough flour to make a ball of dough that leaves sides of pan.
- Dip a spoon in the boiling broth and cut off dough to make dumplings.
- Drop pieces of the dough into the boiling broth; cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn dumplings and cook 5 minutes more.
- Serve hot, garnished with fresh parsley.