Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
My mom found this recipe years ago, and it quickly became a favorite for special occasions. It's not hard to make--it's just so good, it seems like it needs to be reserved for something special!
- For the rice: Bring milk to a boil (watch carefully so it doesn't boil over) in a medium sized saucepan over med. high heat. Add salt and rice, stir, then cover and reduce to low heat.
- Cook rice for about 50 minutes (must cook completely). Be careful it doesn't burn. Cool in refrigerator, slightly covered with plastic wrap.
- While rice is cooling, combine whipping cream, vanilla and sugar in mixer. Whip on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form. Combine cooled rice with cream, cover, and refrigerate.
- For the cherry sauce: Bring cherries to a boil over med. high heat. Combine water and cornstarch, then add to the boiling cherries. Cook together for one minute or until thickened, stirring constantly. Cool in refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, top rice with cherries and toasted almonds. Can be done in individual dishes or in one large bowl.
just like my mom did it. we used to put one whole almond in the pot and the one who got it would recieve a gift.