Recipe by Olha
This cookie dough is rolled out thin, cut into diamonds, slashed in the center, and twisted into a knot. Some call them "lover's knots."
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 5 -6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon freshly crushed cardamom seed
- hot oil (for frying)
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In the work bowl of the food processor with the steel blade in place, or in a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Slice the butter and add to the dry ingredients.
- Process or blend until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add 5 tablespoons of cream, egg, and cardamom (leave out cardamom if you wish) and mix until a dough forms.
- Add more cream if necessary to moisten the dough.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured board, roll dough out to 1/8-inch thickness and cut into strips about 1 1/4 inches wide.
- Cut the strips diagonally into diamonds about 3 1/2 inches long.
- Make a lengthwise slash through the center of each with the point of a knife.
- Pull one end of the piece through the slash to form a half-knot.
- Heat fat (vegetable oil, lard, or shortening) to 375 F.
- Drop knots into the fat and cook until golden on both sides, turning once or twice.
- Remove from fat and drain on paper toweling.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- Store in an airtight tin in a cool place Makes about 60 cookies.
- The Great Scandinavian Baking Book.