Recipe by Bergy
Traditional part of a Danish smorgasbord. Always part of Christmas buffet. Lovely color and great taste (if you like pickled herring)
Top Review by Bibelot
I love this recipe. It is so nutritious, particularly for older people, as beetroot is now known to help dementia and brain function, not to mention the herring. I use fresh beetroot. Always a winner.
- 1 (1 lb) jarpickled, sliced beet (reserve liquid)
- 3⁄4 cup marinated wine flavored herring tidbits (about a 6 to 8 oz jar or tin)
- 1 medium tart apple
- 1⁄2 lb potato, peeled and boiled & cooled
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the herring, potatoe, beets and apple into 1/4" pieces.
- Mix together.
- Blend in the dill pickle, onion and add a bit of the reserved beet liquid.
- The salad should have a firm consistency.
- Put the ingredients into a bowl, pack down well, cover and refrigerate at least over night or up to 2 days.
- Serve with Danish rye bread and hard boiled eggs as part of a smorgasbord.