Recipe by Benthe (Danish)
Danes, Germans and other northern Europeans can not imagine living without dark rye bread, After moving to the States in 1988, it took me about 4 months of trying my Danish recipes, adjusting for high altitudes and ingredients available before I finally found one that worked. I made this every week till the kids left home. This is a very tough, sticky dough, it can be made by hand, but a stand mixer definitely makes it easier.
Top Review by lin1
We love this bread,I would give more stars if I could.I have been trying out many Danish dense breads,this is the best so far!We used to live in Denmark many years ago,and I got used to heavy rye[full corn] very thinly sliced open faced sandwiches.So thank you for posting your recipe,will make every week.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 200 ml bulgur, cracked wheat
- 330 ml dark beer
- 4 tablespoons dry active yeast
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons liquid gravy browner or 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 cups rye flour
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the boiling water into a very large bowl.
- Add bulgur, let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the cold beer, yeast, buttermilk, gravy color or cocoa and salt.
- It is important to keep the machine on low for 5 minutes, keep scraping the sides and the dough hook while you add.
- Rye flour, whole wheat flour and all purpose flour.
- Fill loaf forms ¾ of the way.
- Cover with a wet dishtowel and let rise for 1 hour.
- Dip a fork in a glass of water and prick the whole surface of the loafs.
- Let rise for another hour
- Bake on the middle rack 1 hour at 400 F (200 C).
- Remove baked loafs from oven, and turn over into separate dishtowels, turn right side up.
- Brush top of bread with melted butter and wrap in dishtowel.
- Place on baking rack on the counter to cool completely.
- To freeze: Let cool till hand warm, place in double Freezer bags, and wait till completely cool to place in freezer.
- To defrost, place on kitchen counter in a dishtowel, remove plastic bag, till defrosted, can be stored in the fridge 6-8 days in a plastic bag.