Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe came to me from my husbands family. It was their custom and ours to hide a white nut in the pudding and whomever found the nut received a gift. Usually a box of chocolates for the kids or a bottle of wine for the adults. The game was to keep the nut hidden in your mouth until all the pudding was consumed.
- In a large saucepan bring the milk and rice to a boil slowly on medium heat.
- Simmer until rice is cooked through and not crunchy.
- Add vanilla and sugar.
- Let cool.
- While cooling, whip the cartons of whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- When rice has cooled add the whipped cream.
- At this time it is customary in our house to add a piece of an almond as well.
- Garnish with tangerine sections, shredded chocolate or chocolate curls.
Yes forgot the almond is a tradition and only one can be in but the trick is to keep it hidden until bowl is empty. People will go for seconds to find it but someone could have been hiding it the whole time. In my family we usually also use a chocolate gift or in Denmark a marzipan pig in a gift box, one of those traditions again, TRY IT.
My family really enjoyed this for Christmas Eve dinner. I did double it and added a couple of cinnamon sticks to it while it was cooking. Great recipe
Oops! Forgot to add that its also tradition to dab on some good ol' cherry sauce =-) Or atleast any kind of berry sauce lol. We typically use blackberry jam heated in the microwave! Mmmm Mmm Good!