Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
A neck or shoulder pork roast works well.
Make and share this Danish Pork With Crackling recipe from Food.com.
- 5 lbs pork roast, with thick layer of fat (neck or shoulder works well)
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt or 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves (you may substitute allspice or fennel, according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- 5 bay leaves, crumbled into small pieces
- 3 cups boiling water
- Preheat oven to 450°F Dry pork roast as much as possible with a paper towel.
- Using a sharp knife, cut halfway through the fat layer (but not the meat) in horizontal lines 1/2" apart. Then make vertical lines 1/2" apart, making a cross-hatch pattern.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, cloves, mustard seeds, and crumbled bay leaves. Rub the mixture into the pork roast, making sure to work it into the fat layer.
- Place in a deep roasting pan and roast for about 30 minutes or until top is crackling and golden brown. Reduce heat to 350°F and carefully pour the water into the pan.
- Cook another hour, or until meat reaches 160°F.
- Remove crackling from roast, cut roast into slices, and serve crackling with the roast.