1/3 Photos of Danish Pork Frickadeller
1 thing SusieQusie & I did to prepare me for what she called *Mary Pats Grand Adventure in Iceland* was to buy a cookbook by Nika Hazelton titled *Classic Scandinavian Cooking* & it was the only cookbook I brought w/me over 4 yrs ago. Although I have spent more time sharing classic US cuisine w/Icelanders, I decided to revisit this cookbook to see what I could find to share here on RZ. Only she will know why this recipe tickles me so. Per the intro ... All the Norse love meatballs, but the Danes' affection & use for them amounts to a national passion. *Frickadeller* are made from every kind of meat. They are eaten continually, either hot or at room temp. The club soda makes them light. ... # of servings was given, but time has been estimated. *Enjoy* !
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine 1st 7 ingredients (pork through pepper); blend thoroughly.
- 2Gently stir in club soda and shape meat into small balls using your hands.
- 3Heat butter in a non-stick skillet. Brown pork balls on all sides. Lower heat & cook gently about 20 minutes or till done. Transfer pork balls hot serving dish and keep warm.
- 4Add cream to pan juices. Bring to a quick boil (stirring constantly) and pour over pork balls.
- 5NOTE #1: Frickadeller are eaten at room temp as an appy or hot as a main-dish. If served at room temp, omit sauce from prep. While not a part of the recipe, my experience here has been that room temp meatballs are served w/a berry preserves dipping sauce and I think a berry chutney would also work well.
- 6NOTE #2: This is definitely a calorie and fat content splurge when served hot. The recipe suggested boiled or browned potatoes + pickled beets to accompany them.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Danish Pork Frickadeller
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 892.4
- Calories from Fat 660
- Total Fat 73.3 g
- Saturated Fat 33.3 g
- Cholesterol 284.8 mg
- Sodium 848.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 42.5 g