Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
1 thing SusieQusie & I did to prepare me for what she called *Mary Pats Grand Adventure in Iceland* was to buy a cookbook by Nika Hazelton titled *Classic Scandinavian Cooking* & it was the only cookbook I brought w/me over 4 yrs ago. Although I have spent more time sharing classic US cuisine w/Icelanders, I decided to revisit this cookbook to see what I could find to share here on RZ. Only she will know why this recipe tickles me so. Per the intro ... All the Norse love meatballs, but the Danes' affection & use for them amounts to a national passion. *Frickadeller* are made from every kind of meat. They are eaten continually, either hot or at room temp. The club soda makes them light. ... # of servings was given, but time has been estimated. *Enjoy* !
- 2 lbs ground lean pork (lean and finely ground)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon onion (grated)
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind (grated)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup club soda (or water if you must)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup cream (light to heavy)
- Combine 1st 7 ingredients (pork through pepper); blend thoroughly.
- Gently stir in club soda and shape meat into small balls using your hands.
- Heat butter in a non-stick skillet. Brown pork balls on all sides. Lower heat & cook gently about 20 minutes or till done. Transfer pork balls hot serving dish and keep warm.
- Add cream to pan juices. Bring to a quick boil (stirring constantly) and pour over pork balls.
- NOTE #1: Frickadeller are eaten at room temp as an appy or hot as a main-dish. If served at room temp, omit sauce from prep. While not a part of the recipe, my experience here has been that room temp meatballs are served w/a berry preserves dipping sauce and I think a berry chutney would also work well.
- NOTE #2: This is definitely a calorie and fat content splurge when served hot. The recipe suggested boiled or browned potatoes + pickled beets to accompany them.
I'd give this recipe 5 stars for the meatballs alone!!! SOOOO tender! I'm gonna try adding club soda to my Italian meatballs! Great secret ingredient! Made for ZWT 9!
I really enjoyed these meatballs. I did make them with the sauce, so totally blew my diet, but they were yummy and it was worth it! Made for Newest Tag! Thanks for sharing! :)
I'm usually not a fan of meatballs, but these little gems are deeeelicious! I think it must be the club soda that makes them lighter than the usual fare. Thank you for sharing your recipe, twissis. Made for the Voracious Vagabonds of ZWT 6!