2 hrs 10 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb yellow split peas, washed (and drained)
- 2 lbs lean bacon (in one piece) or 2 lbs smoked pork butt (in one piece)
- 3 medium carrots, scraped
- 1 celery root, peeled & 1/4-ed
- 4 medium leeks, white parts (use white parts of leeks only, cleaned and washed)
- 2 medium onions, peeled & halved
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb pork sausage link (cook and drain sausage links)
- 1large kettle with 6 cups water.
- 2Cook slowly, covered, 1 1/2 hours, until tender.
- 3Put bacon, carrots, celery root, leeks, onions, thyme, salt, and pepper in another kettle.
- 4Cover with water.
- 5Cook slowly, covered, 40 minutes until vegetables and bacon are tender.
- 6Take out bacon; slice and keep warm.
- 7Remove vegetables and add to cooked split peas with as much as the broth in which the vegetables were cooked as desired to thin the soup.
- 8Reheat, if necessary.
- 9Ladle soup, including vegetables, into wide soup plates and serve sliced bacon and the cooked sausage links separately on a platter.
- 10Serve with dark bread, mustard, and beer.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Danish Pea Soup with Pork
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 933.1
- Calories from Fat 603
- Total Fat 67.0 g
- Saturated Fat 22.1 g
- Cholesterol 117.9 mg
- Sodium 1775.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.4 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 36.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: