Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 1 lb yellow split peas, washed (and drained)
- 2 lbs lean bacon (in one piece) or 2 lbs smoked pork butt (in one piece)
- 3 medium carrots, scraped
- 1 celery root, peeled & 1/4-ed
- 4 medium leeks, white parts (use white parts of leeks only, cleaned and washed)
- 2 medium onions, peeled & halved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb pork sausage link (cook and drain sausage links)
- large kettle with 6 cups water.
- Cook slowly, covered, 1 1/2 hours, until tender.
- Put bacon, carrots, celery root, leeks, onions, thyme, salt, and pepper in another kettle.
- Cover with water.
- Cook slowly, covered, 40 minutes until vegetables and bacon are tender.
- Take out bacon; slice and keep warm.
- Remove vegetables and add to cooked split peas with as much as the broth in which the vegetables were cooked as desired to thin the soup.
- Reheat, if necessary.
- Ladle soup, including vegetables, into wide soup plates and serve sliced bacon and the cooked sausage links separately on a platter.
- Serve with dark bread, mustard, and beer.
Our daughter Sue is visiting this week from Calgary with a mouth full of braces! So, I have had to find all kinds of soft recipes. Decided to use your Danish Pea soup. It was a hit for sure. Happy smiles and no pain eating supper. Thank you for a super recipe.