This butter cookie is a holiday tradition spanning generations in my family. It is simply not Christmas without them.
- Preheat Oven to 325°.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add flour gradually.
- Add pecans and vanilla.
- Dough will be very dry but will form a ball as your hand warms the butter while forming small crescents or "football" shapes.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- When cool, roll in powdered sugar.
This is a great basic mix - I tried using chopped almonds, orange and lemon zest with a marmalade filling topped with a few dark chocolate chips -divine! I also tried omitting the nuts altogether and using a drop of Amarula plus a dollop of fig jam - very good! It is great to play around with flavours, just split the dough up into a few different portions and go nuts! Super easy and yummy!
This is a great recipe. These cookies were quick and easy to make. They taste incredible. Like shortbread studded with pecans than rolled in powdered sugar. Yummy! Thank you for sharing this recipe, I will be using it in my christmas tray this year.