Recipe by Michelle S.
The city I live in is very Danish. These are a popular item at most bakeries at least once a week.
Top Review by Aroostook
Are these great or what!!! Didn't know what to think using cornflakes =0 but it came out sooo good. Made these for friends visiting from WV and they took the recipe with them! Thanks for posting.
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening, plus
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 8 cups peeled sliced apples
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening until crumbly.
- Add enough milk to the yolk to make 2/3 cup.
- Add to flour, mix to blend.
- Divide dough in two.
- Roll 1 batch to fit a 15x10-inch pan.
- Sprinkle with corn flakes.
- Combine apple slices, 2/3 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Place evenly on crust.
- Roll out other batch and place on top.
- Pinch edges to seal.
- Beat egg white until stiff and brush over crust.
- Bake at 400°F for 50- 60 minutes.
- While baking, mix remaining ingredients.
- When done remove pie squares from oven--cool only slightly.
- Frost with glaze while still warm.