24 hrs 15 mins
Adapted from www.breadworld.com, the website of Fleischmann's yeast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 (3/4 ounce) envelopes fast rise yeast (total 4 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 3/4 cups butter, divided (3 1/2 sticks)
- 2 eggs, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup jelly or 1/4 cup preserves, divided
- 1In a large bowl, combine 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, undissolved yeast, salt and lemon zest.
- 2Heat milk, water and 1/4 cup butter until very warm (120 - 130 degrees). Gradually add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes with electric mixer at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- 3Separate 1 egg; refrigerate white in a covered bowl. Add 1 whole egg, 1 egg yolk and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in cornstarch and remaining 2 1/4 cups flour to make a soft batter. Cover tightly with plastic wrap; refrigerate 2 hours.
- 4Meanwhile, bring the remaining 1 1/2 cups butter to room temperature Spread softened butter on waxed paper, forming a 12-by-10-inch rectangle. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 5Roll chilled dough to a 16-by-12-inch rectangle on a lightly greased surface. Center the rectangle of chilled butter over the dough; pat butter gently into dough. Fold into thirds by folding the long sides in over the center. Give dough a quarter turn; roll it into a 16-by-12-inch rectangle. Again fold dough in thirds. Turn dough, roll and fold once more. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; chill 1 hour.
- 6Roll dough into a 16-by-12-inch rectangle. Fold in thirds, turn dough, reroll to a 16-by-12-inch rectangle and fold again. Chill for 1 hour.
- 7Repeat Step 6, refrigerating dough overnight.
- 8Divide dough in half; return one portion to refrigerator. Roll the other half to a 12-by-6-inch rectangle. Cut into 12 (6-by-1-inch) strips. Twist each strip 3 times, then coil and tuck end under coil. Make a deep indentation in the center of each roll; fill with 1/2 teaspoon jelly. Place rolls on greased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough. Chill rolls for 1 hour.
- 9Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, combine egg white and 1 tablespoon water to make an egg glaze. Stir to blend. Brush rolls with egg glaze; sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- 10Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from sheets; let cool on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Danish Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (1553 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.1
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 52.1 mg
- Sodium 275.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 3.7 g