Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Original Danish recipe from my mom.
For the Meatloaf
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons of crushed croutons or 6 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 cup water, roughly
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt & pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package bacon
For the sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup pan dripping, liquid from meatloaf pan
- served with potato
- For the meatloaf: Mix all of the ingredients and put the bacon on top, the strips next to each other but not overlapping.
- Put the loaf in an ovenproof pan with at least 1 1/2 inch high side.
- If the loaf is too mushy add more breadcrumbs.
- If it is too hard add more water.
- Pour the cream and one cup of water into the pan.
- Bake in oven at about 400°F for one hour.
- For the sauce: Pour one cup of the cream/water/fat from the pan into a pot.
- Taste with a bit of jelly and salt.
- Pour a bit of flour into a little water, mix it with no clumps and add to sauce until it has the right thickness.
- For the potatoes: Peel.
- Slice into them every 1/8 inch, but not all the way through--leave about 1/4-3/8-inch at the bottom.
- Put a little butter on top of each potato.
- Sprinkle with crushed croutons on top.
- Bake in oven at 400°F until done, depends on type of potato.
- The potato should not be too hard/raw.
I won't say it's breathtaking, but it's nice and quite easy to do and very filling. I've made it a couple of times and my husband likes it a lot. So thanks for sharing.