Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Best meatloaf EVER! We had this for dinner at a friend's the other night, and couldn't believe how good it was.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb sausage (any kind, but hot is great)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 cups fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (Saga brand is good)
- Sauté onion and green pepper in butter for five minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of the chili sauce and water and cook for another three minutes.
- Press onion mixture into the bottom of a 9x5x3 loaf pan.
- Mix remaining ingredients and press on top of onion mixture.
- Bake at 375°F for 1.5 hours.
- When serving, invert meatloaf on a platter so that onion/pepper mixture is on top.
Very nice meat loaf! I changed the blue cheese to parmesan because my husband don't like blue cheese. Instead of having the onion mixture on top of the loaf we mixed it with the beef. It turned out very juicy and flavorful!
The best meatloaf I've ever made and really as good or better than the best I've ever had. My dh said it reminded him of his mothers. Though I've never had her cooking, it is a known best compliment when hubbies say that! This is going to my keeper file for sure, and it will be hard for me to try another. The only thing I did different; because I had to, was use dry italian bread crumbs for one of the cups and torn up bread pieces for the other. DELICIOUS!!! Made during ZWT3 by a Floozie - Remembering Amy!
Oh my goodness!!! This really is the best meatloaf I have ever had. I scoffed when I read that because you hear it all the time. But this really is. Full of flavor, easy to make. The topping is savory and compliments the flavors of the meatloaf. I HIGHLY recommend using the hot sausage. The spiciness of the sausage blended with the flavor of the blue cheese for an incredible flavor that we will make again and again.