I make this for the "boys" every year during the deer hunt. They talk about it the rest of the year! I like the rich creamy flavor too! This is a little work, but it could easily become a holiday tradition!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground venison or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork, unseasoned
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
Creamy Dill Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl mix the meat, salt, pepper, eggs, onion and cream.
- (I use my kitchenaid).
- With moistened hands (this will be sticky), shape into 1 inch balls.
- Roll the meatballs in bread crumbs until well coated.
- Arrange in a single layer on shallow baking pans.
- Drizzle melted butter over the meatballs.
- Bake at 375 degrees, turning 3 or 4 times, until evenly browned, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce:.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk in the flour till smooth.
- Gradually stir in the chicken broth.
- Continue stirring until thickened and bubbly, then blend in sour cream, dill and seasonings.
- Place meatballs in a serving dish and cover with the sauce.
- Serve over egg noodles.