Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A Christmas favorite. Easy to make
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cardamom, ground
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 lightly beaten egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cream the shortening, butter, sugar& egg.
- Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon& cardamon.
- Add nuts.
- Roll into 1" balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Flatten slightly and decorated with an almond.
- Brush with egg glaze.
- Egg Glaze---------.
- mix egg yolks and water.
- Bake at 375f for 10-12 minutes.
Wonderful and very spicy! The cardamom makes the cookie extra special. I added 1 tsp cinnamon beyond the 1 Tbs in ingredient list, otherwise followed the recipe. I did find that for my oven, they only took 7 min or so to brown lightly on bottom. Will definitely make again - a nice addition to Christmas munchies!
I liked these cookies a lot but I made some changes to suit my taste. Instead of the almonds I added 3 1/2 tsp almond extract since I didn't have any almonds. They tasted wonderful! Like a spice cookie but with an almond twist. I also didn't use the egg glaze per the past reviewer's suggestion. Thanks for the recipe!
These cookies were pretty easy to make, and have a nice, spicy taste to them. However, I found that they looked better without the egg glaze.