Recipe by Bergy
A Christmas favorite. Easy to make
Top Review by moosehead
Wonderful and very spicy! The cardamom makes the cookie extra special. I added 1 tsp cinnamon beyond the 1 Tbs in ingredient list, otherwise followed the recipe. I did find that for my oven, they only took 7 min or so to brown lightly on bottom. Will definitely make again - a nice addition to Christmas munchies!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cardamom, ground
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 lightly beaten egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the shortening, butter, sugar& egg.
- Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon& cardamon.
- Add nuts.
- Roll into 1" balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Flatten slightly and decorated with an almond.
- Brush with egg glaze.
- Egg Glaze---------.
- mix egg yolks and water.
- Bake at 375f for 10-12 minutes.