Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This salad is from Sonia Uvezian's "The Book of Salads". It looks delicious, although I've not tried it and am posting it for ZWT3.
- 226.79 g elbow macaroni
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 2.46 ml dry mustard
- 4.92 ml salt
- 78.07 ml mayonnaise
- 158.51 ml sour cream
- 14.79 ml pimiento, chopped
- 236.59 ml ham, Danish boiled, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley or 29.58 ml fresh dill, finely chopped
- Cook the macaroni al dente as directed on the package. Drain well and set aside to cool.
- In a salad bowl mash the yolks of two of the eggs, reserving the egg whites for another use.
- Add the mustard and salt to the yolks.
- Gradually mix in the mayonnaise, the fold in the sour cream.
- Add the pimiento, ham and cooled macaroni, toss gently but thoroughly.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Cover and chill at least one hour.
- Slice the remaining 2 eggs into rounds.
- Place the eggs rounds decoratively on the top of the salad and sprinkle with the parsley or dill.
This made a lovely summer supper dish. As it served as the meal I added a few peas to boost the veggie content a bit. I trimmed the fat by using fat free sour cream and low fat/cholesterol free mayo. It holds very well in the fridge and, of course, tastes even better after a good chill.