1/3 Photos of Danish Layer Cake (Dansk Lagekage)
1 hr 15 mins
My aunt is Danish and moved here when she was child. So when she married my uncle, they raised their kids with both American and Danish experiences. So part of the Danish side of this is having this INCREDIBLE Danish layer cake for their birthdays. So this really has become a tradition in my family and I finally found a recipe that I LOVE. I actually make the cake with 3 layers though the recipe says you can make up to 6 or 7. We always put the birthday person's favorite candy on top so you can choose whatever you'd like. I always pick either Kit Kats or Gummy Worms since those are my favorite. I also tend to put fresh berries and chocolate chips on top. It's absolutely delicious! Enjoy!! I got it from this site: http://www.plu.edu/--scancntr/nordic-culture/danish-layer.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 226.79 g jar raspberry jam
- 85.04 g cooked package instant vanilla pudding (whole milk if possible)
- 236.59 ml whipping cream
- 1Cut 5 or 6 pieces of wax paper and draw an 8" circle in each. Have available a large cookie sheet or jelly roll pan that will accommodate two wax paper sheets.
- 2In mixing bowl, cream softened butter with sugar and beat until fluffy. Blend in eggs and vanilla.
- 3Mix in flour and baking powder and beat until well blended. (Do not over beat.).
- 4Divide cake batter among the 5 or 6 wax paper sheets. Spread batter into shape of circle and place on cookie sheet.
- 5Bake at 350 degrees about 9 or 10 minutes until golden around edge and cake springs back when touched.
- 6Remove from cookie sheet and cool. Repeat for remaining batter.
- 7Take 1st round of pastry and place on cake platter.
- 8Spread some raspberry jam on top and then some vanilla pudding.
- 9Repeat same with 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th layer.
- 10Place 6th layer of pastry on top and frost top layer with a layer of icing (omit one layer if making only 5 layer cake).
- 11Beat whipping cream until stiff and frost sides of cake with whipping cream.
- 12You can decorate the cake as to what the occasion calls for - Danish flags, candles for a birthday, cake sprinkles, etc.
- 13Cake can be assembled ahead of time (without the whipping cream) and refrigerated. The flavors blend and it tastes somewhat like trifle. Frost sides of cake with whipping cream just before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Danish Layer Cake (Dansk Lagekage)
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1490.6
- Calories from Fat 770
- Total Fat 85.6 g
- Saturated Fat 51.6 g
- Cholesterol 486.6 mg
- Sodium 850.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 165.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 101.3 g
- Protein 17.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: