1/1 Photo of Danish Kringle
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
From Aebleskiver and More - A Sampling of Danish Recipes by Lisa Steen Riggs. I have heard this is devilishly hard to make, but well worth it if you can master it. I've never been able to make it. Hope you have better luck! Time required for chilling dough and for dough to rise are not included in prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 3/4-3 cups sifted flour, divided
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 egg, beaten, divided
- 3/4 cup cold milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1For the pastry:.
- 2Blend the butter and 1/4 cup of the flour together and set aside.
- 3Dissolve yeast in the lukewarm water; add 1 Tbsp sugar, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 4Beat together the egg (reserve 1 Tbsp for topping), cold milk, 2 tbsp sugar, salt, and the yeast mixture.
- 5Blend in remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- 6Chill in refrigerator for about 45 minutes,
- 7When 45 minutes have passed, on a lightly floured surface, roll out to a 12-inch square.
- 8Roll the flour/butter mixture between sheets of waxed paper to a 10x4-inch rectangle, remove wax paper, and place the mixture in the center of the dough.
- 9Fold each side of the dough over the flour/butter mixture; turn slightly and roll out again to a 12-inch square.
- 10Repeat the folding and rolling process two more times.
- 11Wrap the dough in waxed paper and chill for 30-60 minutes.
- 12For the filling:.
- 13Blend all ingredients together, using enough cream to form a spreadable consistency - not too firm that it crumbles when spread, but not to soupy either.
- 15Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- 16Roll out chilled dough to a 24x12-inch rectangle, then cut lengthwise into two 24x6-inch strips.
- 17Spread each strip with filling, leaving at least 1/4 inch on all sides.
- 18Roll as a jelly roll, starting with the 24-inch edge.
- 19Moisten edges, seal, and stretch to about 30 inches.
- 20Place on a greased baking sheet.
- 21Shape into an oval or pretzel shape.
- 22Flatten to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- 23Brush with the reserved egg.
- 24Cover with a moist cloth, and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- 25Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and delicious.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Danish Kringle
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.6
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 24.7 mg
- Sodium 130.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 2.0 g