Recipe by Bergy
This is a traditional Danish cookie/cake that is served at all festive occasions, Weddings, Christmas, Easter etc. It sounds like Ho Hum but it is truly delicious
- 1 lb ground almonds, blanched
- 4 ounces icing sugar
- 4 ounces berry sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 egg whites
- 4 1⁄2 ounces icing sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all the ingredients (except Icing ingredients) in a saucepan and heat over low heat, until almond paste is slightly roasted and has absorbed all the liquid Leave the almond paste to cool completely.
- Roll the paste into strips the thickness of a medium finger and the length of a cookie sheet.
- Place the strips on a well greased baking sheet which has been slightly sprinkled with flour.
- Pinch each strip at the top so the strip is broad at the base and narrows to a sharp ridge at the top.
- Cut into 3 inch pieces.
- Bake in low oven 300F for 15-20 minutes or until light brown on top only, Cool Mix the icing ingredients and stir well and until it has an even consistency.
- Decorate the cookies with the icing drizzled in a zig zag patter across them.