This is traditionally part of any Danish Smorgaasbord., Also wonderful for any recipe calling for Lox - appetizers etc. The wine and cognac cures the raw salmon. This cannot be compared to smoked salmon the process is very different nor do I recommend grilling it. It is ready after curing sliced very thinly. It is wonderfull on a bagel with cream cheese, chopped sweet onion , capers and served with scrambled eggs.
- Combine the sugar, salt sprinkle on to the flesh side of the salmon.
- Cover loosely with fresh dill sprigs, press spices and dill into salmon.
- In a glass or ceramic shallow dish, just large enough to hold the salmon mix the cognac& wine.
- Place the salmon skin side up into the dish.
- Cover the dish loosely with plastic wrap and place a board the size to the salmon on top, weight it with apprx a 2-3 lb weight, tighten the plastic wrap Place in fridge and allow to marinate for 3-4 days.
- Transfer salmon to a cutting board and cut the salmon horizontally into thin slices.