Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This apple and prune stuffed roast is traditionally served at Christmas in Danish families. It makes a wonderful company dish any time of the year though. For an extra special touch, try making the stuffing with raisin bread.
- 1 (4 lb) center-cut bone-in pork roast, loin (backbone loosened)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
For the Stuffing
- 1 cup pitted prune
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 6 cups dry bread cubes
- 1 large tart apple, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- Preheat the oven to 325*F.
- Place the roast rib side down. Cut pockets in the roast, cutting from the meaty side. Sprinkle the roast with the salt and pepper.
- to prepare the stuffing, in a small saucepan, combine the prunes and the water. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 1o minutes or until prunes are tender. Drain and coarsely chop. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in the brown sugar, lemon rind, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Place the bread cubes in a large bowl. Stir in the onion mixture, prunes and apple. Drizzle with the apple juice, tossing until moistened. Spoon about 3 TBS into eacb pocket of the roast. Spoon the remaining stuffing into a buttered casserole; cover and refrigerate.
- Place the roast, rib side down, in a roasting pan. Roast for 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in the center of roast registers 155*F. (Cover the roast loosely with foil after 1 hour, so the stuffing doesn't overly brown).
- Bake the covered casserole of stuffing along side of the roast during the last 30 to 40 minutes of roasting.
- Let the roast stand for 15 minutes befroe carving, serving the stuffing in the casserole with the roast.