Recipe by Scandigirl
This is my own creation of a Danish French bread called Franskbrod. I missed it so much here in Canada, that I got down to business and experimented enough to have it down right... Enjoy with homemade peach jam, or some Danish Havarti. Velbekomme!
- 7 -7 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- yellow cornmeal
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large mixer bowl combine 3 cups of the flour and the yeast.
- Heat 2 1/2 cups water, sugar, salt and shortening just till warm 115-120 degrees F.
- Stirring constantly to melt shortening.
- Add to dry mixture.
- Beat at low speed with mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping bowl.
- Beat 3 minutes at high speed.
- By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead on floured surface till smooth (10 to 12 minutes.) Shape into a ball.
- Place in greased bowl and turn once.
- Cover, let rise till double 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down, divide in half.
- Cover let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll each half to 15 x 12" rectangle.
- Roll up tightly from long side, seal well.
- Taper ends.
- Place each diagonally seam side down, on greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Gash tops diagonally every 2 1/2 inches 1/8 inch deep.
- Beat egg white just till foamy add 1 tbsp. water
- Brush tops and sides of loaves, and sprinkle with poppyseeds.
- Cover, let rise till double (about 1 hr.) Bake at 375 degrees F.
- till light brown for 20 minutes, brush again with egg white mixture.
- Bake another 20 minutes longer.
- Remove from sheets and cool.