1/4 Photos of Danish-French Bread (Franskbrod)
3 hrs 40 mins
This is my own creation of a Danish French bread called Franskbrod. I missed it so much here in Canada, that I got down to business and experimented enough to have it down right... Enjoy with homemade peach jam, or some Danish Havarti. Velbekomme!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In large mixer bowl combine 3 cups of the flour and the yeast.
- 2Heat 2 1/2 cups water, sugar, salt and shortening just till warm 115-120 degrees F.
- 3Stirring constantly to melt shortening.
- 4Add to dry mixture.
- 5Beat at low speed with mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping bowl.
- 6Beat 3 minutes at high speed.
- 7By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- 8Knead on floured surface till smooth (10 to 12 minutes.) Shape into a ball.
- 9Place in greased bowl and turn once.
- 10Cover, let rise till double 1-1 1/2 hours.
- 11Punch down, divide in half.
- 12Cover let rest 10 minutes.
- 13Roll each half to 15 x 12" rectangle.
- 14Roll up tightly from long side, seal well.
- 15Taper ends.
- 16Place each diagonally seam side down, on greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal.
- 17Gash tops diagonally every 2 1/2 inches 1/8 inch deep.
- 18Beat egg white just till foamy add 1 tbsp. water
- 19Brush tops and sides of loaves, and sprinkle with poppyseeds.
- 20Cover, let rise till double (about 1 hr.) Bake at 375 degrees F.
- 21till light brown for 20 minutes, brush again with egg white mixture.
- 22Bake another 20 minutes longer.
- 23Remove from sheets and cool.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Danish-French Bread (Franskbrod)
Serving Size: 1 (492 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1702.6
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3527.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 342.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.2 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 49.6 g