Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Aebleskiver and More - A Sampling of Danish Recipes by Lisa Steen Riggs. Time for dough to rise is not included in Prep Time.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons dill or 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 unbeaten egg
- 2 1⁄4-2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- Soften yeast in the warm water. Set aside.
- Heat cottage cheese to warm (not hot!); stir in sugar, onion, butter, dill or caraway seeds, salt, soda, and egg.
- Add the yeast and mix well.
- Add enough flour to make a stiff dough (not sticky).
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Punch down and shape into two loaves.
- Put loaves into two well-greased loaf pans and let rise again until doubled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour.
Beautiful moist, almost sweet, bread that turns out fantastic from the bread maker. I altered it a bit because I didn't have the right ingredients on hand: increase onion to 1 1/2 Tbsp, decrease caraway to 1 Tbsp, replaced the cottage cheese with ricotta, heated 1/4 water and seeped the seeds a few minutes before adding remainder of liquid ingredients. I can't wait to try it with dill!
Made in my breadmaker with spectacular results! As I love dill and caraway seeds, I used both. I also added a tablespoon of mixed seeds for extra crunch. Rose very high and was crisp on the outside and very moist on the inside - a wonderful bread - thanks for posting! Made for ZWT3. FT:-)