Prep 10 mins
Cook 17 mins
This is a modified Meduri Farms recipes from Smart Cooking the Costco Way. I prefer fresh fruit, this recipe calls for dried. Just be aware that if you use fresh, there will be juice escape from the fruit during cooking. I later further modified it to allow for pie filling, almond paste or jam.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- 1⁄4 cup cottage cheese (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (More if you have a real sweet tooth or 1/4 cup Splenda)
- 1 small egg (if large, beat and just add half or double the recipe)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup dried fruit (go juicy and try fresh or use pie filling or jam) or 1⁄2 cup almond paste (go juicy and try fresh or use pie filling or jam)
- 1 batch crescent roll (Crescent Rolls without the kosher salt and caraway or roll Pillsbury seamless)
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter, soft
- nuts (to garnish)
- Beat cream cheese, cottage cheese (if using) and sugar until smooth in a mixer. Add egg, lemon peel, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat until well blended.
- If using dried fruit, fold it into the cream cheese mixture. If using fresh fruit, jam or pie filling, hold it aside.
- If using Pillsbury rolls, open crescent rolls. Do not unroll, just slice into 8 pieces. If you made your own, shape into 8 rounds.
- Place on silpat. Press in the center to make a depression for the cream cheese and fruit/filling or jam.
- Place 1/8th of the mixture in the center of each. If using fresh fruit, pie filling or jam, spoon some on top of that in the center of each.
- If using nuts, sprinkle on top now.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove fro oven and place on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes.
- Mix butter and confectioners' sugar. Then add milk and mix to make icing.
- Drizzle over each danish.