Recipe by Scandigirl
If you are of Danish background you'll long for this traditional Christmas cookie. It is not Christmas in our house without Vanille Kranse served...
- 1⁄2 cup blanched almond
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 8 candied red cherries
- 16 green glazed cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease cookie sheets; set aside.
- Process almonds in food processor until ground, but not pasty.
- Place almonds, flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is crumbly.
- Beat egg, milk and vanilla in a small bowl with a fork until well blended.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir until soft dough forms.
- Spoon dough into a pastry bag fitted with medium star tip.
- Pipe 3-inch rings 2-inches apart on prepared cookie sheet.
- Refrigerate rings 15 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut each cherry in half. Cut each red cherry half into quarters; cut each green cherry half into 4 slivers.
- Press red cherry quarter onto each ring where ends meet.
- Arrange 2 green cherry slivers on either side of red cherry to form leaves.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Remove cookies to wire racks; cool completely.
- Store tightly covered at room temperature or freeze up to 3 months.