Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Source: "Baking with Julia"
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whisk half and half, cornstarch and sugar together in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens slightly.
- Whisk yolk and vanilla together in a small bowl, whisk a little of the hot liquid into yolk mixture to temper.
- Pour yolk mixture into boiled mixture and cook, simmering and stirring for 30 seconds.
- Scrape into bowl and cover with plastic against the surface to prevent skin from forming.
- Can be kept refrigerated for 3 days.
Half and half goes good with this recipe .