Recipe by lazyme
From The Joy of Muffins - The International Muffin Cook Book. Here's what the intro says about this recipe. Danish desserts make ample use of cream, sour cream and butter from Denmark's thriving dairies. A walk through Copenhagen's Tivoli Gardens is hardly complete without sampling the luxurious creamy Danish desserts which inspired this light sour cream muffin with the mocha cream filling. Try it with dark Scandinavian coffee for a special dessert treat.
Top Review by Michelle Berteig
These were good muffins, but were a little on the dry side. The filling is very good, but definitely needs more sugar than the recipe calls for. Adjust to your own taste. Per other reviewer's comments, these would be good with sugar sprinkled on the top. Made for the Hot Pink Panthers on the Prowl for Family Picks for ZWT9.
- 5 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground chocolate or 1 teaspoon cocoa
- 1 3⁄4 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl mix together the cream cheese, instant coffee, powdered sugar and chocolate.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs with sour cream, sugar and vanilla.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg, sour cream mixture, stirring for 10 seconds.
- Dough will be quite thick.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin pans to about one-third full.
- Then drop a heaping teaspoonful of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each muffin, being sure it doesn't touch the edges of the pan.
- Top with the remaining batter, making sure it covers the filling.
- Place into preheated oven on center rack and bake until done.
- Bake at 375 degrees 18 to 20 minutes.