Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A sweet Scandinavian recipe adapted from Moosewood Cookbook. Enjoy!
- 4 cups pitted cherries
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 -4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon zest (the grated outer yellow rind)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, blanched, optional (To blanch almonds, place them in a colander over a sink. Pour boiling water over them, and rub off t)
- whipped cream
- whipped ricotta cheese (To whip ricotta, beat it vigorously with a whisk, or at high speed with an electric mixer)
- plain yogurt, with a few blanched almonds folded in
- Place cherries in a heavy medium-sized saucepan, and cook over medium heat, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and sugar in a small bowl. Add lemon juice and whisk until smooth. Stir this into the hot cherries, and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thick, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest, almond extract, and slivered almonds.
- Serve hot, warm, room, temperature, or cold, top with whipped cream, whipped ricotta, or yogurt. Enjoy!
Yum! I used fresh cherries and toasted almonds. It was sublime over low fat vanilla ice cream. Next time I want to try it with the ricotta, which also sounds delicious.
Made my life easier and used water-packed, pitted cherries. I love the flavour combination of cherry/almond. This recipe couldn't have been easier and was simply delicious. Thanks.