Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From Everything Raw: The No-Cooking Cookbook by Jennie Reekie and found in The Good Cook Salads. Posted for ZWT6. Danish Samsoe cheese is a semihard, pale yellow cheese with cherry sized holes. Swiss cheese is a good substitute. NOTE: The cooking time is the marinating time
- 1⁄2 cup samsoe cheese, diced (about 3 1/2 oz)
- 1⁄4 cup danish blue cheese, crumbled (about 1 oz)
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- dry mustard
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- Slice the peppers fine into rings, discarding the cores and seeds, and place the rings in a serving bowl.
- Combine oil, lemon juice, pinch of mustard, salt and pepper to taste in a screw-top jar and shake until mixture is well blended (or whisk together in small bowl), then pour it over the peppers and let them marinate for four hours. Add the cheeses and onion to the peppers and toss all of the ingredients together.
This was a nice combination of smooth and crunchy textures, as well as a great mix of flavors. I used smoked cheddar instead of the first cheese listed because I couldn't find it anywhere!<br/>made for ZWT9 Soup a Stars
My husband really loved this and I liked it a lot so it is a solid four stars from our home. I made this for ZWT #6's trip to Scandinavia and I'm glad I gave it a try. It is a beautiful dish that has delicious cheeses in every bite!