Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
My grandmother is full Dane and I found a few recipes to post when I was doing some research. If the recipe seems a bit "choppy" it is because they are old. Please use your discrestion when baking these. This is a great simple custard that isn't too sweet. I think Spelenda might be a good sugar substitute, but I haven't tried it yet. This also makes alot! This can be cut in half!
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Beat 6 egg whites and 12 egg yolks with the sugar for 15 minutes at low speed with an electric beater.
- Add the cream and vanilla.
- Melt enough brown sugar in some water to line the bottom of a baking dish.
- Pour the batter over this and bake in a hot water bath for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until set (jello like texture/jiggle) in 250F oven.
- Whip the other 6 egg whites with a little sugar until stiff but not dry.
- Spread over the dish of custard.
- Raise oven heat to 425°F.
- Return baking dish to oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.