Recipe by Gilligan
It is better to use the beef/pork combination. You can use all beef if preferred. This recipe came from my husbands Mor & Far and is served frequently in their home. It is especially good at Christmas time for a Christmas Eve Folkost.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 cabbage
- 1⁄4 lb margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine meats, egg, salt& pepper in a large bowl.
- Add milk and flour to make a stiff consistency.
- It should all come together in a ball.
- Cut around core of cabbage and soak in boiling water to loosen leaves.
- Remove leaves and fill each one with a spoonfull of meat mixture toward the core end.
- Fold this end over the meat and then fold in the sides and fasten with toothpicks.
- Place the cabbage rolls in a large pot, fold side down.
- Cover with water and boil on med.
- heat for 20 to 25 minutes.
- When cooked, drain liquid from the cabbage rolls into a large measuring cup and keep.
- SAUCE FOR CABBAGE ROLLS Melt 1/4 lb.
- margarine in a large pot.
- Add enough flour to the margarine, a little at a time, to make a crumbly texture.
- Add the cabbage water slowly, in small amounts, stirring constantly, the sauce will thicken and you continue adding cabbage water and stirring until you get a nice creamy sauce.
- Add salt& pepper to taste.
- Serve the warm cabbage rolls with a tureen of sauce to be ladled over them.