Recipe by Bergy
This cabbage goes well with pork. It is a traditional Danish dish. The caraway gives it a lovely flavor. You do not add any water with this recipe. It is cooked on the lowest number on your stove - there is enought moisture in thc cabbage that comes out as it slowly cooks. I cover the pot after adding the caraway seeds. Remember to stir each time you pass the stove. As mentioned by Swedish Chef in her review her MIL added an apple - I tried it and it is excellent. Thanks SW
Top Review by Derf
Love the caraway, very good cabbage but we felt it needed salt and pepper, added it at the table. Just happened to be snipping chives from the garden to freeze them, so I added a couple of tablespoons of them to the cabbage, I think it added to the taste. We enjoyed it and will use the recipe again. Thanks Bergy!!
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings (or other veggie oil)
- 5 cups cabbage, coarsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt Bacon dripping in a saucepan (or heat oil).
- Add cabbage.
- cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add caraway seeds, continue cooking for at least another 1 1/2 hours. I have had it on for 4 hours.
- Give the pot a stir every time you pass by the stove.
- The cabbage will be golden brown when it is done.