Recipe by Benthe (Danish)
This is the moistest and most spongy coffee cake I know. Back in the 1980 this was the one you got no mater where you went or what the occasion was. When I returned to Denmark after 18 years in the States, I remember getting this at my cousin’s house, and the first bite was like, memories of childhood and perfect summers. I had forgotten how good it was. My DB calls this the “ant cake” because once the topping is baked, the coconut flakes, does look like little ants.
Top Review by L.A. Stewart
Fabulous! The family loved it! A keeper for sure. I had a bit of a problem trying to convert from grams, but I used a stick of butter that was labelled in grams for my benchmark. Thank you for sharing this fabulous recipe!!! LA :-)
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 50 g butter or 50 g margarine
- 300 g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200 ml milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (15 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 125 g butter or 125 g margarine
- 100 g coconut flakes
- 250 g brown sugar
- 50 ml milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and place rack in middle of oven.
- Place a large saucepan on the stove half filled with water and bring to a boil.
- Place a large bowl on top of (inside) the saucepan, be careful not to burn yourself on the steam from the boiling water. Add eggs and sugar and whisk till it is thick.
- Remove bowl from saucepan. Turn of burner.
- Sift Flour and baking powder together, and carefully fold into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Melt butter and add milk either in a sauce pan on the stove or in a glass dish in the microwave (1 minute on high for the butter, then add the milk)
- Carefully add the milk and butter mixture to the dough.
- Grease or line with parchment paper a 9x13 inch baking dish and pour the dough into it.
- Place in preheated oven on the middle rack ca. 20 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean.
- Prepare filling while cake is baking
- Mix filling Ingredients in a saucepan or in a glass dish and heat through, set aside till cake is baked.
- Turn oven op till 225 C or 450 F.
- Pour filling on top of the baked cake, and place back in the oven and bake ca. 5 minutes.
- Cool and serve.