Benthe (Danish)'s Note:
This is the moistest and most spongy coffee cake I know. Back in the 1980 this was the one you got no mater where you went or what the occasion was. When I returned to Denmark after 18 years in the States, I remember getting this at my cousin’s house, and the first bite was like, memories of childhood and perfect summers. I had forgotten how good it was. My DB calls this the “ant cake” because once the topping is baked, the coconut flakes, does look like little ants.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 50 g butter or 50 g margarine
- 300 g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200 ml milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (15 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and place rack in middle of oven.
- 2Place a large saucepan on the stove half filled with water and bring to a boil.
- 3Place a large bowl on top of (inside) the saucepan, be careful not to burn yourself on the steam from the boiling water. Add eggs and sugar and whisk till it is thick.
- 4Remove bowl from saucepan. Turn of burner.
- 5Sift Flour and baking powder together, and carefully fold into the egg and sugar mixture.
- 6Melt butter and add milk either in a sauce pan on the stove or in a glass dish in the microwave (1 minute on high for the butter, then add the milk)
- 7Carefully add the milk and butter mixture to the dough.
- 8Grease or line with parchment paper a 9x13 inch baking dish and pour the dough into it.
- 9Place in preheated oven on the middle rack ca. 20 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean.
- 10Prepare filling while cake is baking
- 11Mix filling Ingredients in a saucepan or in a glass dish and heat through, set aside till cake is baked.
- 12Turn oven op till 225 C or 450 F.
- 13Pour filling on top of the baked cake, and place back in the oven and bake ca. 5 minutes.
- 14Cool and serve.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Danish Brovst Dream Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 650.5
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 156.7 mg
- Sodium 356.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 73.3 g
- Protein 7.9 g