Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My grandmother Anina always made this cake for holidays - it was probably created to make use of what was on hand in hard times. I'm posting it here for safe-keeping.
- Dry the bread in a low oven, when sufficiently dry crush into crumbs.
- Melt 1/4 pound of the butter in a skillet, and add the bread crumbs. Stir to brown over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon, stir to keep from sticking.
- Pat 1/3 of the crumb mixture into a greased pie pan, smoothing down.
- Spread over this one can of the applesauce, dot with 1/3 of the remaining butter and sprinkle half the remaining sugar and cinnamon.
- Repeat, then finish with the last third of the crumbs. Dot with last of the butter.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Cool, then turn out onto a plate and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving coat with whipped topping and garnish with cherries and nuts.