1/2 Photos of Danish Applesauce Breadcrumb Pudding
1 hr 30 mins
This is an interesting variation on bread pudding I found on the internet. You can used store bought chunky applesauce instead of making your own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 12 slices French bread (about 2 1/2 cups) or 12 slices Italian bread, ground fine in a food processor (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup lingonberry preserves or 1 cup raspberry preserves
- 1 cup whipped cream (optional)
- cooking spray
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2To make applesauce: Peel and core apples and cut into 1 inch. In a large saucepan bring water, apples, and sugar to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft and starting to fall apart, about 25 minutes. Don't cook or mash the sauce until smooth. Applesauce may be made 3 days in advance and kept chilled until you are ready to make the pudding.
- 3In a large heavy skillet melt butter over moderate heat. Once melted, stir in apple juice and bread crumbs. Stir bread crumbs continuously until they are well toasted and golden in color, about 5 minutes.
- 4Lightly spritz a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Place 1 cup of bread crumbs in the bottom, top with 2 cups of applesauce, followed by 1/2 cup of preserves. Repeat layers, finishing with the remaining 1/2 cup of crumbs. Bake pudding 25 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- 5Serve pudding warm with optional garnish of whipped cream and additional preserves.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Danish Applesauce Breadcrumb Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 541.7
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 600.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 44.8 g
- Protein 9.0 g