Recipe by HeatherFeather
A former neighbor of mine & I were trying out recipes from some newly acquired military community cookbooks we had "won" together on Ebay. My neighbor found this recipe in one called "Recipes on Parade:Desserts" and since we both had a copy of the cookbook, we both tried it out - and loved the recipe. You would serve this scooped into a bowl, garnished with a little shredded cheddar and whipped cream, or as my neighbor preferred, some vanilla ice cream. This tastes best warm. This is called a "cake" but is not a typical slicing cake.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter, melted slightly
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup finely chopped apple (peeled, cored)
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cheddar cheese, shredded,to taste
- sweetened whipped cream or Cool Whip, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9" square glass baking dish well.
- Mix together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, sugar).
- Stir in slightly melted butter.
- Add beaten egg,apples,nuts, and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Bake 30 minutes in prepared pan or until toothpick tests done.
- Serve warm with a bit of shredded Cheddar cheese sprinkled over the top and a dollop of whipped cream.
- I know the cheese part sounds strange, but it is the secret ingredient!