Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A former neighbor of mine & I were trying out recipes from some newly acquired military community cookbooks we had "won" together on Ebay. My neighbor found this recipe in one called "Recipes on Parade:Desserts" and since we both had a copy of the cookbook, we both tried it out - and loved the recipe. You would serve this scooped into a bowl, garnished with a little shredded cheddar and whipped cream, or as my neighbor preferred, some vanilla ice cream. This tastes best warm. This is called a "cake" but is not a typical slicing cake.
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 177.44 ml granulated sugar
- 44.37 ml sweet unsalted butter, melted slightly
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 236.59 ml finely chopped apple (peeled, cored)
- 177.44 ml pecans, chopped
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- cheddar cheese, shredded,to taste
- sweetened whipped cream or Cool Whip, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9" square glass baking dish well.
- Mix together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, sugar).
- Stir in slightly melted butter.
- Add beaten egg,apples,nuts, and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Bake 30 minutes in prepared pan or until toothpick tests done.
- Serve warm with a bit of shredded Cheddar cheese sprinkled over the top and a dollop of whipped cream.
- I know the cheese part sounds strange, but it is the secret ingredient!
...and we do not put eggs or pecan's in the apple cake either
This was a light and fluffly cake. Very small though! serving nine ppl would be a stretch I guess. I used the 9' square glass pan, and got incredibly "short" cake. So I served them stacked up (2 layers) with some whipped cream in the middle. Love the cheese (nobody could guess what the "special flavouring" was)! Unlike traditional apple cakes, it doesn't weight you down after after a hearty meal (ie. if you can resist a second serving :)