Recipe by Bergy
This dessert was traditionally served on Christmas Eve. It is easy to make. You can either buy Almond Macaroons or make your own Almond Macaroons
- 6 cups apples, peeled,cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups almond macaroons, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup red currant jelly
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup toasted almond, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine apples, sugar and lemon juice in a heavy saucepan and simmer over medium heat until the apples are slightly soft, about 5 minutes, drain.
- Heat oven to 350F degrees.
- Mix butter and macaroons.
- Press 2 cups of the macaroon mixture in the bottom of a 7" springform pan.
- Cover with 1/2 apples.
- Spread with 1/2 jelly.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup macaroon mixture.
- Cover with remaining apples.
- Spread with remaining jelly.
- Top with remaining macaroon mixture, press gently.
- Bake for 45 minutes, cool completely.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- To serve whip the cream and top the apple cake with it, then sprinkle the almonds over the cream.