Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This dessert was traditionally served on Christmas Eve. It is easy to make. You can either buy Almond Macaroons or make your own Almond Macaroons
- 6 cups apples, peeled,cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups almond macaroons, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup red currant jelly
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup toasted almond, sliced
- Combine apples, sugar and lemon juice in a heavy saucepan and simmer over medium heat until the apples are slightly soft, about 5 minutes, drain.
- Heat oven to 350F degrees.
- Mix butter and macaroons.
- Press 2 cups of the macaroon mixture in the bottom of a 7" springform pan.
- Cover with 1/2 apples.
- Spread with 1/2 jelly.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup macaroon mixture.
- Cover with remaining apples.
- Spread with remaining jelly.
- Top with remaining macaroon mixture, press gently.
- Bake for 45 minutes, cool completely.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- To serve whip the cream and top the apple cake with it, then sprinkle the almonds over the cream.