Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A good friend of mine gave me this wonderful recipe. She told me that every time she made these for a party everyone would demand the recipe with their mouths' full! On my end, every time there's some kind of pot-luck around everyone requests that I bring this dish. Prep time does not include defrost time.
- Defrost and drain the spinach. Thoroughly squeeze handfuls to remove the liquid. Reserve for another use if desired. The water leftover from this is great for cooking pasta or rice!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix drained spinach with all remaining ingredients except cooking spray.
- Spray a 9x2x13 baking pan with cooking spray. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until top is nicely browned. Let cool and cut into squares.
- My favorite way to have leftover spinach squares is to cut one up into small pieces and use it as omelet filling. Yummy!
- Cut into 24 squares for hors d'oeuvres.
I can see why this recipe is popular at potlucks. The recipe is cheesy, green goodness on a plate! I used frozen spinach & much appreciated the tip on saving the liquid. I can hardly wait to try it with rice. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Discovered during Spring 2012 PAC.
OMG these are just delicious. I'm no expert on Spinach Squares, but I can't think of a thing I would change about this recipe, with the exception of using fresh sauted spinach, which I prefer over the frozen. I was a little worried that the onions, which I used, would not get done but it did and was just great. I may have used a little bigger baking dish than I should have making only half the recipe, as it was just a little thin, but still just delicious. Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to try the leftovers in an omelet filling as suggested. Made for Spring PAC 2012