Recipe by Daniele1969
This is a recipe my local fish guy and I made up. I had walked into my grocery determined to make Jambalaya, but had no clue how to make it. My fish guy said to throw in some chicken, some spicy sausage, seafood and okra; gotta have the okra. Add some spices and enough liquid to cover it all. Oh yeah and don't forget the rice. I went home and this is what I created. My husband was SO impressed...what do you think?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 -3 hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 chicken thighs, de-boned and chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 cans del monte cajun-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 bottle beer (Heinekin)
- 3⁄4 lb shrimp, de-veined
- 3⁄4 lb bay scallop
- 1 bag frozen okra
- 2 cups raw rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2 qt pot, saute the onion, red pepper, jalapeno pepper and garlic over med-hi heat in the olive oil until everything is soft.
- Add the sausage, chicken, bacon and hot sauce and saute until almost cooked.
- Add the stewed tomatoes and the beer and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to med and let the pot simmer.
- Add the shrimp, scallops and okra and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the seafood is cooked.
- Add the rice and stir continuously for 10 minutes (keeps the rice from burning on the bottom of the pot.) then cover the pot and turn the heat down to Med-low for another 10 minutes or until the rice is done.