Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I like dandelions; not in the middle of my yard, but my day is ALWAYS brighter when either of my kids give me a handful of bright yellow flowers. And learning that I can EAT them make them all the cooler! I think this syrup has a deeper flavor than the sugary stuff you get at the store (although it's not health food!) Found it in a magazine or newspaper, years ago.
- 250 dandelion flowers (untreated with chemicals)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 8 cups water
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- Bring dandelion heads, lemon juice and water to a boil in a large pot.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for an hour.
- Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, overnight.
- Strain mixture, and put the dandelion heads in your composter :).
- Add sugar and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Uncover and simmer for about an hour, or until thickened to the consistancy of maple syrup.